Thursday, March 29, 2007

Thursday

Thursday, March 29, 2007
I slept in until 6:15 this morning. I'm going to have a really hard time next week. That's 9:15 for the time my body's used to and it's four hours later than when I normally get up. Ugh!
I spent the day in the lab again. It has been so much fun doing all of the DNA diluting and testing. The two scientists who have been in there have been so patient and taught me so much. I told them if they ever wanted a lab assistant, I'd be tickled to come and help them.
At lunch time, Tracy and I decided to take a walk. We ran into two of our ten roommates who were geochaching. We joined them. I had my GPS receiver. Tracy found the one cache that was eluding the three of us. We also found another geocache while we were on our walk.
It warmed up a little today, but the wind was still awful. I really was not prepared for the weather here this week. It's a good thing I spent most of my time in the lab. Otherwise, I would have really frozen in the field.
If anyone has messages they'd like to send me, please feel free to post them. I've enjoyed this. We head to Las Vegas tomorrow (hopefully in the morning). I've never been there, so it will be another new adventure! Maybe I'll even win something with my $20!
My "suite" at Zzyzx.



Scientist, Elaine, and I spreading the DNA on the gel.


Tracy and I took a walk at lunchtime and found Sheila and Christy geocaching. We joined them!








Look at these vortex gizmos.





Look at all this great lab equipment to test for DNA!






Look what is growing from our sampling from Tuesday and Wednesday!







Preparing this DNA is fun stuff!








We prepared the DNA to go into the thermal cycler.









Hector and Mrs. Chippy became fast friends.











1 comment:

SusanEvick said...

HI Eileen. It's so nice to get on and read about your adventures! I know this is a little late, but I sure hope you enjoyed Las Vegas. I had such a great time there. So many things to do and see. Take Care.